Thursday, April 2, 2015

Patternwork

2015 has been pretty much non-stop studio time so far. Time off has been a bit hard to come by and it feels a while since I got the chance to work on something at a slower pace (or not work at all). But it's also good to work quickly & luckily many of the commissions coming my way have been full of interesting twists & turns & unexpected outcomes.

One of those projects was an 8 page feature for a US lifestyle magazine (I'll link it all up & show the work once it's released) & part of the brief was to come up with a range of decorative patterns to sit behind some of my felt tip pen object illustrations. I began by looking at kaleidoscopic patternwork as I have a love for things created spontaneously (a recurring theme I should investigate says the ex-tutor in me...) & here are two from the series which I didn't end up using.




Working fast & slow is something which has interested me for a while & as it sometimes happens without me realising (racing to finish a deadline...) it's good to reflect on how that has affected a drawing.