Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Film4 / Two Days One Night : Sketches

My print for Film4 at Somerset House Summer Screen is now available to buy via the Print Club London shop. I thought I'd also post some of the sketches I did when working on the project, while I was working out the most important scenes; a process of elimination to distill the narrative into a single image.

I've answered a few questions about the project below.

Tell us about your creative process and how you took inspiration from the film?

The film tells a very bleak, sad story, looking at the problems with zero hours contracts for workers. I wanted to focus particularly on the relationships between characters, and in particular Sandra's husband; I saw him portrayed as the real hero of the story. He convinces her to carry on and support her when she is at her lowest eb; without his encouragement, she would have given up. I was also interested in the number "17" as the factory kept making it clear that they had realised they could do the same job with 16 workers; and over the course of her weekend, many of them refuse to vote for her to keep her job - knowing that if it's not her who looses her hours, it could be them.

Why did you pick that particular quote, scene or character from the film?

I decided to focus on scenes where there was a lot of dialogue between Sandra & her husband. As a lot of these scenes resembled conflict, the scene which really stuck with me was tenderness between them when he runs out of his shift working as a chef to comfort her after she dashes into the car park in distress. This scene shows the power shift in their dynamic with him wearing his Chef's whites - he doesn't wear a uniform in any other scene in the film, and I felt this worked well with the hero concept I wanted to communicate. I chose to illustrate the type, "No one wants to be Number 17" and translated it into French - using handwriting to demonstrate a quiet, understated acknowledgement of the gravity of the situation by the main character.

What message you believe your artwork carries besides the actual redesign of the film poster?

Because the film focuses a lot on the well-documented problems of zero hours contracts, and the disposable approach to employment, hopefully it does a little to help highlight these issues. But also I hope it conveys a split second of tenderness; a dramatic but fleeting moment between two people.