Sunday, September 1, 2013

Frances Ha dir. by Noah Baumbach



When I was a child I discovered we had a well in our garden. It was completely sealed with a cast iron cover so I could only imagine dropping glistening coins down it which (I decided) wouldn't make a sound for hundreds - maybe thousands - of years. At some point, the lid was removed and I stood beside it, took the deepest breath I'd ever taken, dropped a much more freely available pebble, and waited. After a disappointing few seconds, I heard a noise. Undeterred, I repeated the experiment. And again, and again, and again. At some point I must have come to terms with the idea that this well was not the magical, limitless, infinite chamber of promise that I had hoped it would be, because I stopped throwing things down it. But over time various manifestations of this belief would continue - when no one was watching I would dig holes all over my parents garden believing - not expecting - that I would find Australia.

Frances Ha by Noah Baumbach is the kind of rare film (book / play / poem) which makes me really dig my heels in and commit even more deeply to the idea of doing something because you believe in it, not because it makes any sense, or that someone else did it before. But even so, sometimes it's good to do what you're supposed to do when you're supposed to do it.