Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Solaris by Andrei Tarkovsky




Earlier this year I watched Solaris by Andrei Tarkovsky (1972) and began making imagery to reflect the feel of the film; I was intrigued by the houseplants, numerous vases, birdcage and details within the house but made a conscious effort not to depict anything which could be a direct interpretation of the set, props or actors. I based a lot of the shapes which I generated these images from on patterns in brickwork, tiled ceiling detail, long grasses and then abstracted them. This isn't really a conclusion to this project, but a junction - it's been good to work on something so on-going in between everything else.

I guess I see this as a development of the work I made based on Twin Peaks by David Lynch, although I was keen to look at narrative in a slightly different way. I read something where 1960's LA painter Robert Irwin talks about 'a narrative which folds in on itself' which has been an underlying theme here in terms of how I am working with materials.