Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sketchbook





I've been drawing a lot again in the last few months, especially outdoors in the forests of Leipzig and Epping. I got really interested in the form/shape made by leaves, logs, seeds, flowers, twigs and branches and how they form natural compositions wherever they fall. I found I was always drawing the outline of things, to define the composition, but then when it came to adding detail found in the leaf veins, bark, disintegration etc, the original outlines got in the way. So I started to block in a lot of the colour, the way I'd been used to when working with vectors or with my hyper-real object drawings, and then add the detail in right over the top; it felt really strange to work in this way by hand but I'm beginning to see how useful it is in getting the information across, also a lot more quickly.



This just made me think of a great print by my pal Jono at City Edition Studio called "First I Do The Colouring Then I Draw It In".